FP1 Strategies, a public affairs, media relations, digital communications and advertising firm, is looking for a Controller.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Controller will be responsible for overseeing the company’s entire accounting and financial flow process from invoicing, accounts payable, expense coding, and payroll to processing monthly and year-end closes and financial reporting.
Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Producing accurate and succinct weekly and monthly financial reports, as well as year-end financial statements;
- Performing monthly reconciliations of bank accounts and credit card accounts;
- Managing the company’s cash flow and cash needs;
- Maintaining the integrity of the company’s accounting system and subsequent ledgers;
- Ensuring the accuracy of all financial transactions in the accounting system;
- Maintaining the company’s coding system including the chart of accounts, project codes, and client codes;
- Reconciling the accounts payable and receivable ledgers;
- Performing weekly check runs and ACH payment transfers;
- Processing the company’s bi-weekly payroll and managing contractor payments;
- Preparing the company’s annual tax return and overseeing the annual preparation of W-2s and 1099s;
- Overseeing the company’s budgeting process and working closely with client account managers to ensure client work is on budget;
- Calculating and overseeing quarterly distributions to partners;
- Managing company investments and recommending investment strategies as needed;
- Monitoring accounts payable aging report and ensuring vendors are paid on-time to maintain company’s high creditworthiness;
- Ensuring timely collection of receivables by monitoring aging reports and following up on delinquent payments;
- Supervising the company’s Financial Analyst and contractual AP accountant;
- Ensuring the company has appropriate and adequate internal controls in place and recommend areas of improvement as needed; and
- Working closely with the CAO to continue to improve the company’s financial processes and dissemination of financial information to partners and client account managers.
The ideal Controller will possess the following skills and requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance;
- CPA or CMA designation preferred, but not required;
- At least 4-6 years of hands-on accounting managerial experience;
- Strong attention to detail and ability to successfully produce accurate financial statements and reports;
- Previous experience working with multiple company entities preferred, but not required;
- Working knowledge of Intacct and Concur or similar accounting and expense reporting systems;
- Strong problem solving skills;
- A “roll up your sleeves,” can-do attitude;
- Proactive problem solver;
- Ability to understand and suggest improvements to current accounting, expense reporting, and timekeeping systems;
- Strong writing and communication skills;
- Ability to easily explain complex financial information to non-finance/accounting staff;
- Ability to supervise and mentor accounting staff and serve as a role model for others; and
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work as part of a fast-moving team.
Do you have a LinkedIn account? Import your resume and save time!